The ZMI quiz on multilingualism in early childhood
Developed by Rosella Benati, Anja Leist-Villis and Petr Frantik
It is no longer an exception for children to grow up with more than one language.
However, what do we actually know about multilingualism in early childhood?
Take the quiz... Are these statements true or false?
1. There are many different types of multilingualism.
2. It is easy for young children to acquire several languages at the same time.
3. Multilingual children start speaking later than monolingual children.
4. It is quite normal for children growing up as multilingual to mix their languages.
5. All multilingual people — including adults — mix their languages and usually have good reasons for doing so.
6. Only German should be used and taught in the nursery and at school.
7. Parents should speak to their children in the language they know best.
8. Consistency is very important in multilingual education.
9. This is what children need to become multilingual...